Wednesday, May 5, 2021

First Visit at Ancient Hill Estate Winery


At the eastern edge of Kelowna there is a small winery that is a bit tricky to find but is definitely worth a visit - for the wine, the winery, the scenery and the people. It is called Ancient Hill Estate Winery. 

This is a friendly place, owned by a couple from the Netherlands (yes, there are about 180 vineyards in the Netherlands) who moved to Kelowna in 1992. The property where the winery is now was a winery way back in the 1940s and 1950s but was turned to orchards after that. The Dutch couple had to change things back to a vineyard and did so in 2005, planting a variety of interesting grapes including Baco Noir, Pinot Noir, Lemberger, Zweigelt, Gewürztraminer and Pinot Gris. 

We went there partly because we had never tried it out and wanted to taste, and partly because my father-in-law, whose last name is Hill, wanted to come along - and he's 86 - so, an Ancient Hill....


It is a beautiful property with a wonderful garden - it reminds me of what part of the Secret Garden might have looked like.


There were also amazing views at this winery of the hills going down toward Kelowna. 

They have a rather large, but still cozy, outdoor area where you can buy cheese and crackers and some wine and enjoy a snack outdoors - a very lovely idea that we will have to do in the future. 

The actual tasting was only $4 - and you got your money back if you bought a bottle. 


Our wine tasting associate was a very friendly fellow that hails from Kerry County, Ireland. He sounds just like Chris O'Dowd, the actor that was in the IT Crowd TV show and in the movie, Bridesmaids. He was knowledgable about the wine and gave us a very welcoming experience. 

We could pick 4 wines in total but, thanks to my wife sharing, I can give you brief notes on 5 of them.

First was the 2018 Pinot Gris ($17). This was a crisp, clean white with flavours of stone fruits and even some tropical fruits. This would be a good patio sipper and would go well with dishes like chicken and charcuterie. Rated between Good and Very Good.

Next was the 2019 Rosé. It is a blend of Zweigelt (40%). Gewürztraminer (40%) and Baco Noir (20%). This was a really interesting Rosé - one that had some heft to it. There were tastes of cherries, strawberries,  and watermelon and this would go well with sitting on the patio or with a pretty broad variety of food - I'm thinking a nice charcuterie board on the terrace. This wine sells for just $16.50 and is rated Very Good.

I had a sip of the 2019 Lazarus ($16.50) which is made from Lemberger. It had some dark fruit and spices on the palate but was light tasting. I did not like this wine - I don't think it was the winemaking, it was probably the grape itself. I haven't had a Lemberger before so I won't know for sure until I try it somewhere else (which could be tricky as it is a fairly rare grape in the Okanagan). Rated Acceptable. 

Their 2017 Pinto Noir ($22) was a pretty tight wine. I found the tannins a wee bit strong in this wine and I felt that there wasn't a lot of fruit on the palate. My sister-in-law said that the 2016 vintage is amazing so I would really like to try and compare the two vintages. I would rate this between Acceptable and Good.

Finally, the 2017 Baco Noir ($25). I really liked this wine. I think I've had Baco Noir before - maybe in the Fraser Valley - but this was a memorable wine. It had lots of dark fruits on the nose and on the palate but also had other tastes including tobacco, vanilla, and chocolate. I really enjoyed this wine and would rate it between Very Good and Outstanding.


Visiting Ancient Hill was an enjoyable experience as they have good wines, a nice setting and friendly people. I would recommend a visit there - but I would take the time to enjoy some crackers and cheese and, maybe, some Rosé or a Baco Noir.

This summer, why not book a tour with me at Wine and Then Somm Wine Tours? I would be happy to meet you in Kelowna or Penticton and take you, in the comfort of your own vehicle, to Covert Farms or some other wonderful Okanagan wineries! Book today!

Wine and Then Somm Wine Tours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time to Taste a Southern Rhone Blend from France for under $17!

  The Côtes du Rhône is a large wine area in the south eastern part of France. The southern part is called the Southern Rhone and is known f...