Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Coronavirus Update #13 - I said, "Social Distancing!!!"

A place where I can be socially distant. Bertram Park, Kelowna.
Here in BC, things were looking so great but the last 24 hours - not so much.

There were 3 deaths and 71 new cases - the biggest jump in cases in a month!

Maybe it's because of the chicken processing plant where there are 28 cases due to workers not wanting to miss work.

Maybe it's because too many people were ignoring advice over the Easter weekend and the cases are cropping up now.

Whatever the reason, I just hope that this is an anomaly and the numbers will be down tomorrow.

In the meantime, I had a rather disconcerting experience with social distancing this afternoon.

I stopped at Home Depot in Kelowna to make a small purchase. The management had done a great job to ensure people were being socially distant - or so I thought. There was a lineup that snaked in front of the store. The lines were separated with piles of palettes that were at least 2 metres away from each other. Within the line were painted orange lines that marked 2 metres between each person.


The idea was, of course, that you were supposed to stay behind the orange line and that would ensure the proper distance.

I lined up behind an Asian couple and we did a great job of distancing ourselves from each other. Behind me, however, were two women and a young girl.

Right from the get go, the young girl (maybe 9 or 10?) was playing, as kids do, pretending to limbo underneath the rope that helped divide the rows (along with the palettes). I know - kids are kids. so I don't expect them to be vigilante about social distancing. I do, however, expect their parents to provide a reminder when a kid needs it.

The women, one who I figured was the mother, said nothing.

I levelled my best teacher stare at the group and things seemed to be OK.

My trademark glare was not overly effective.
Five minutes later, the whole group was about half a meter behind me. Time to glare at them again.

It went on like this until I was second from the front of the line. They weren't behind me - now they managed to be right beside me! I had a tape measure in my pocket and I toyed with the idea of showing them what 2 metres looks like but I feared that I would end of raging at them and, let's me frank,  I didn't want to upset the young girl.

I leapt to the front of the line when it was my turn. After a half minute, the worker letting people in asked me, "Is it just one or all four of you?" The two woman and the young girl were right behind me! 

I said, "Just one," shrugged - so hard that I almost dislocated my shoulders - and looked back and gave one last glare before entering the store.

Should I have spoken up?

Probably, but after teaching kids for so long, I really don't want to give the parents crap about their stupid behaviour in front of the girl and traumatize the kid. Also, I was facing away from them so the chances of actually getting something is pretty low.

Still, if this happens again, I am more likely to say something. This is the first time that I have felt uncomfortable with the distancing of another person.

I hope it's the last.

Stay healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Should have just started coughing and hacking towards them....

    ReplyDelete

Time to Taste a Southern Rhone Blend from France for under $17!

  The Côtes du Rhône is a large wine area in the south eastern part of France. The southern part is called the Southern Rhone and is known f...