Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Coronavirus #3 - Fiesta!

Just released! Some rosé to help cope...
I'm sure the title of today's blog is a bit different.

After I blogged yesterday, I went to the local college for my two Spanish classes - the last classes at the college as they are moving to online for Thursday.

For the first class, a first year Spanish Class, half of the class was missing. Surprisingly, it was mostly young kids that missed. The second class, a second year oral Spanish Class with 8 students - mostly over 50 - only had one missing person!

It was a presentation class where you had to explain how to do something, in Spanish, of course. One guy explained how to make sushi and then proceeded to make a whole bunch. I showed people how to taste wine - with their own sample, of course! And on it went - from calligraphy to string games to getting a job.

The class went overtime, not that anyone minded, and at the end we had a party of sorts - una fiesta - where we ate sushi and polished off the bottle of wine.

Yes, we all kept our distance. Nobody was coughing on others. The guy making sushi wore gloves.

For me, it was a rather enjoyable way to celebrate being with more than a couple people for the next I-don't-know-how-long.

The recent news in BC has not been so good. Yesterday there were 83 more cases for a total of 186. Today there's 45 more for a total of 231. There's close to 700 cases in Canada. Nine people have died. Some are questioning how effective the new measures are - not realizing that the infections reflect the situation 5 -7 days ago, not the situation right now.

Yesterday, I proposed three things. They have mostly happened already. The schools are closing indefinitely. The border is closed except to essential supplies and people - US citizens are not excluded (and vice versa). And our politicians are saying, "Stay at home."

Which is harder than it sounds.

When I was reading my email, I got a message that 8th Generation Winery had just released their rosé. We love their rosé so, off we went to Summerland to pick up a case.

The winery had a table across the front of the store and only one person was allowed in the small alcove at a time. After waiting for the guy before me, I ordered my case of 2019 8th Generation Pinot Meunier Rosé ($20 each), got a bonus bottle of Cab Merlot for ordering a case, and left with the wine. Very little interaction and no tasting - which seems like the ideal thing to do in the new reality.

Afterwards, we drove back to Kelowna, appreciating the glorious sunny day and the picturesque Okanagan Lake.

As we drove back, I thought, stay home - stay home except when you need essentials or possible a few bottles of wine.

If wineries can be careful with their policies and people can enter one at a time and keep their distance, I hope they can remain open. I will do my part to support them over the coming weeks.

We even ordered dinner at a local Asian restaurant tonight - pick up only, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time to Taste a Southern Rhone Blend from France for under $17!

  The Côtes du Rhône is a large wine area in the south eastern part of France. The southern part is called the Southern Rhone and is known f...