Tuesday, March 5, 2019

WSET 3 Final Results! Woo hoo!

The cherished Green Pin indicating I passed Level 3

So....got the final results for my WSET 3.

Not just that fancy green pin..... I also got my results for the two components of the test.

Just to refresh:

There was the blind tasting - which was two wines, a red and a white.

I was really, really, worried that I bombed the tasting. I did OK on the red but the white (which was a Sauvignon Blanc) tricked me.

Bad Sauvignon Blanc!

The second part was the knowledge tests.

The knowledge was split into two parts - the multiple choice which was 50 questions and the essay part which had four questions, each worth around 25 marks.

I felt that I passed the knowledge part - the multiple choice was pretty easy but the essay questions were hard - even though I had studied a lot.

How'd I do?


For the tasting, I got a Pass. No surprise there. I was really worried that I failed this part so to get a Pass was a relief.  It is a lot harder to taste and comment when you are in a room with a bunch of other people doing the same thing and the stress level is very high. And there's no cheese and crackers...

For the knowledge, I got Pass with Distinction! That means I got over 80%!! That was a surprise. I thought I'd maybe get Pass with Merit but had no idea that I'd nail the knowledge portion so well.  I guess all that studying paid off. Helps being a teacher and actually teaching kids how to study.


Overall, my grade was a Pass with Merit.

And I am happy with that. Really happy!

To get Pass with Distinction overall, I would have had to nail the tasting completely and I would have a difficult time doing that, unless the wines were, say, Beaujolais Nouveau and a Spätlese Riesling. Considering that I was off base with the Sauvignon Blanc, I am actually ecstatic that I did so well overall.

I will say it again - I am very happy with my results and am even happier that I am done!

Now, on to some nice wine....

Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Time to Taste a Southern Rhone Blend from France for under $17!

  The Côtes du Rhône is a large wine area in the south eastern part of France. The southern part is called the Southern Rhone and is known f...